Saturday, May 22, 2010

The New Author Attends Her First Book Club Meeting

Thursday night, around 7:55 pm, I sat in my parked car, in front of this girl's house, so so nervous and scared. My first book club appearance as an author would be starting in five minutes. Twelve girls I didn't know and me. What if they didn't like the book? What if they didn't like ME? Yikes!

Well, I have to tell you, that night was nothing like the scary scenario I'd conjured up in my head.

As the girls started to arrive, the first thing I noticed how attractive they all were. It was obvious that every one of them had put time and effort into her appearance. I just love that! It's so endearing to me when I see girls dressing up for other girls.

I began talking to them and realized quickly how extremely intelligent these women were. But, they were also fun and energetic and down to earth.

All lived nearby, and had been getting together for four years. In total, they'd read 40 books, HOOK, LINE AND SINK HIM being 41.

Every one of these wonderful women made me feel instantly like their friend. They were gracious and sweet, but I also felt comfortable joking around with them within the first few minutes.

What touched me the most about this group was, the cohesion and the bond between them. They had probably talked over the years for thousands of hours. Wine drinking, giggling, laughing, teasing each other and tearing up at times was what I saw, not to mention the genuine respect they all seemed to have for each other.

As for HOOK, LINE AND SINK HIM, it was so much fun hearing their thoughts and listening to their discussions regarding how the book may pertain to their own lives.

Time flew by, and I did not get home that night until 11:30! What a wonderful night. My first book club under my belt, and I have to say, if all book clubs are like this, I'm looking forward to many, many more!!

1 comment:

Sa Toya said...

Sounds like you had good fun. I wish there were book clubs where I live. Suppose that's part of why I blog books.

I think it's great that your book's getting a lot of lurve!

Post a Comment